Share the Pennies is a bill round-up program that provides grants to low-income homeowners to make energy efficiency repairs in their homes.
Example: If your utility bill is $113.50, it will be rounded up to $114 and a 50-cent donation will be made to MIFA to fund the Share the Pennies Weatherization Assistance Program (see below).
All customers are enrolled in the Share the Pennies round-up program unless they choose not to participate. To opt out of Share the Pennies enrollment:
The Share the Pennies Weatherization Assistance Program provides grants to low-income homeowners for weatherization improvements.
Eligible repairs include:
- Attic Insulation
- Attic Stairs and Door Replacement
- Broken Window Repair or Replacement
- Exterior Door Repair or Replacement
- Weather Stripping around Doors or Windows
- Repair of Water Leaks
- Repair of Gas Leaks
- Exterior or Interior Wall Penetrations
- Interior Floor Penetrations (homes not on a slab)
- HVAC Duct Repair or Replacement
- HVAC Repair or Replacement
- Water Heater Repair or Replacement
- Installation of Smoke Detectors
- Installation of CO Detectors (gas appliances)
- Must be 18 years or older to apply
- Must be a homeowner who lives in Shelby County
- Home must be listed in your name
- Must live in the home to be repaired
- Must be current on previous year's City and County property taxes for the home you live in
- Must meet income guidelines based on Federal Poverty levels
- MLGW utility account must be in your name, with no bad debt or diversion of services within the last seven years
Visit mifa.org/sharethepennies for more information.