Would you like to know what your utility costs will be each month, even before you receive your bill? You can - with Budget Billing, a Memphis Light, Gas and Water program that allows you to pay the same amount each month. Budget Billing does not reduce your overall energy expense. It simply lets you spread out your annual energy expense over a 12-month period and let you know ahead of time what your monthly payment will be. So you'll be able to manage your household budget a whole lot easier.
How it works:
- When you enroll in the program, MLGW analyzes your previous year's total usage, adjusts for rate changes and weather conditions, and divides the total into twelve monthly installments.
- You pay this installment each month until the following March, when the Budget Billing installment for the next twelve months is determined.
We estimate your Budget Billing installment amount as accurately as possible. However, changes in cost of energy, weather and lifestyle can happen at any time. To avoid a significant difference between the budget that you're billed and the cost based on the actual amount of energy you used, we conduct monthly reviews of your account.
After a periodic review, your Budget Billing payment amount could stay the same or it could be adjusted up or down, depending on the cost of your actual usage. A payment adjustment is designed to help you avoid a large over- or underpayment at the end of your Budget Billing year. However, any year-end deficit or credit will be factored into your installment for the next year.
To participate in Budget Billing:
- You must have an active account.
- You must have lived at your current address for a minimum of 6 months.
- You must be current on your account to remain in the program.
- Your Budget Billing installment must be paid by the due date each month.
- In the event you are disconnected for non-payment or change addresses, you will be removed from the program and will not be able to participate in Budget Billing for 6 months.
Your MLGW account will be monitored monthly. If your actual utility costs are consistently lower or higher than your Budget Billing installment, your installment will be adjusted.
MLGW projects that the regular payment of the monthly Budget Billing installment will cover your actual utility costs and will yield neither an excessive deficit nor credit to your account. However, any year-end deficit or credit will be factored into your installment for the next year.
It's easy to apply for Budget Billing by using one of the following options:
- Call 544-6549, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Visit one of MLGW's five community offices.
- E-mail your information to email@example.com
- Online Application
- Simply download the Budget Billing application below, fill it out and mail to:
Customer Accounts And Records
Memphis Light, Gas And Water Division
PO Box 430
Memphis, TN 38101-9969
Click here to download the Budget Billing application.