MLGW’s 2023 Art Contest
“Electric Generation and Distribution: ElectRock!”
Poster Art Contest for
Kindergarten – Senior High Students
The theme of MLGW’s 2023 Poster Art Contest is “electric generation and distribution” and Memphis Light, Gas and Water wants students to help in designing the newest MLGW Power League Superhero, “ElectRock!”
Power League Superhero ElectRock’s mission is to encourage students to learn about the steps involved in the generation and distribution of electricity, and the usefulness of this essential commodity in our lives.
The “Electric Generation and Distribution: ElectRock!” Poster Art Contest is designed to tap students’ imagination in creating a visual image of the “ElectRock!” Power League Superhero character while conveying knowledge that students and parents can learn about Electric Generation and Distribution. The students’ work should include their own original version of the “ElectRock!” Power League Superhero character.
- The students’ artwork must include an original, graphical version of the Power League Superhero character “ElectRock!” and a message related to electric generation and distribution. The superhero character can be male or female.
- The submission must include the MLGW logo.
- All students enrolled in grades K-12 attending ANY school within Shelby County or being home-schooled within Shelby County are eligible to enter the contest.
ALL participants must complete and attach the official “2023 Artwork Entry and Release Form” securely to the back of the physical artwork with tape along all sides. Participants can also complete the “2023 Artwork Entry and Release Form” and upload a digital copy of their artwork electronically at tinyurl.com/MLGWArt.
Specific Art Form Rules:
- The students’ artwork in physical form must be mounted on a sturdy mat board, foam board, cardboard, or poster board that is suitable for display. The artwork entry, including the mounting, must measure 11” x 17” or the work will NOT be eligible as an entry for the contest.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student submitting the artwork. Use of copyrighted material automatically disqualifies the entry. The only copyrighted item that can (and must) be used is the MLGW logo.
- Computer-generated artwork IS acceptable.
- Framed or laminated entries are NOT accepted.
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL OR CALL OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS AT THE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF MEMPHIS OR MEMPHIS-SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS WITH CONTEST-RELATED QUESTIONS. THEIR ONLY ROLE IS THE COLLECTION OF STUDENTS’ PHYSICAL ARTWORK.
Memphis-Shelby County Schools (MSCS) students and all K-12 students attending schools other than MSCS but located within Shelby County are eligible to participate and enter the contest.
Artwork entries in physical form
Artwork entries in physical form should be submitted by 4 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2023, to:
Director of Development
The Children’s Museum of Memphis
2525 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104-5926
Visual Art and Theatre Instructional Advisor
Fine Arts Team
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Shelby County Schools
TLA Annex, 2485 Union Ave
Memphis, TN 38112
Artwork entries in physical form by postal mail
Parents and teachers can mail the completed entry and student artwork by 4 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2023, to 220 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38103
Artwork entries in electronic form by email
Parents and teachers can also submit the completed entry and student artwork online as a .png, or .jpg to email@example.com by 4 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2023.
Artwork entries in electronic form by upload
Participants can also complete the “2023 Artwork Entry and Release Form” and upload a digital copy of their artwork electronically at https://form.jotform.com/223454535385056 by 4 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2023.
IN THE EVENT THAT THE SUBMISSION BECOMES A CATEGORY WINNER, THE ORIGINAL ARTWORK WILL NEED TO BE PROVIDED TO MLGW. IN ALL CASES, ENTRIES MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY THE COMPLETED “2023 ARTWORK ENTRY AND RELEASE FORM.”
Judging and Awards:
MLGW will oversee the judging of the artwork with non-MLGW judges. Submissions will be judged by a non-MLGW panel of judges on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit and creativity.
- Representation of the theme character, use of the MLGW logo, and approach to the contest theme.
- Theme communication: How well the contest theme “Electric Generation and Distribution” is expressed in the artwork.
- Artwork will be entered and judged in four categories: Elementary school, grades K-2; Elementary school, grades 3-5; Middle school, grades 6-8; and High school, grades 9-12.
- Children of MLGW employees are NOT allowed to enter or participate in the Contest.
Each winner’s teacher will receive a $125 gift card.
Home-schooled students will need validation of instructor from their parent or instructor.
All entries will become the property of MLGW and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Renewable Energy Sources - Types of Energy
- Alternative Energy & Renewable Energy
- Introduction to Electricity
- Energy 101: Electricity Generation
- The Electric Grid Connects Us All
- MLGW Power Restoration
For Contest information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org exclusively.
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL OR CALL OUR COMMUNITY PARTNERS AT THE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF MEMPHIS OR MEMPHIS-SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS WITH CONTEST-RELATED QUESTIONS. THEIR EXCLUSIVE ROLE IS THE COLLECTION OF STUDENTS’ PHYSICAL ARTWORK.