MLGW’s 2021 “Gas Safety: Captain Mercaptan” Poster Art Contest for
Kindergarten – Senior High Students
2021 Art Contest Poster
2021 Artwork Entry and Release Form
2020 Art Contest Winners
The 2021 theme of the MLGW Poster Art Contest is “Natural Gas Safety: Captain Mercaptan.” Memphis Light, Gas and Water wants students to help in designing the newest MLGW Power League Superhero, “Captain Mercaptan”:
The “Captain Mercaptan” mission is to encourage students to learn about gas natural safety and be conscious about Mercaptan, the substance added to natural gas to produce a smell similar to rotten eggs so that the presence of natural gas is easily recognized and avoided.
The “Captain Mercaptan” Poster Art Contest is designed to tap students’ imagination in creating a visual image of the “Captain Mercaptan” character while conveying knowledge that students and parents can use to be safe around natural gas. The students’ work should include their own original version of the “Captain Mercaptan” character.
- The students’ artwork must include an original, graphical version of “Captain Mercaptan” character and a natural gas safety message.
- The submission must include the MLGW logo.
- All students enrolled in grades K-12 attending ANY school within Shelby County or being home-schooled within Shelby County are eligible to enter the contest.
ALL participants must complete and attach the official “2021 Artwork Entry and Release Form” securely to the back of the artwork with tape along all sides. Participants can also complete the Entry/Release Form and upload a digital copy of their artwork electronically at www.tinyurl.com/MLGWArt.
Specific Art Form Rules:
- The students’ artwork in physical form must be mounted on a sturdy mat board, foam board, cardboard, or poster board that is suitable for display. The artwork entry, including the mounting, must measure 11” x 17” or the work will NOT be eligible as an entry for the contest.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student submitting the artwork. Use of copyrighted material automatically disqualifies the entry. The only copyrighted item that can (and must) be used is the MLGW logo.
- Computer-generated artwork IS acceptable.
- Framed or laminated entries will NOT be accepted.
Shelby County Schools students and all K-12 students attending schools other than Shelby County Schools but located within Shelby County are eligible to participate and enter the contest.
Artwork entries in physical form
Artwork entries in physical form should be submitted before 4 p.m., Friday, December 10, 2021 to:
Director of Education
The Children’s Museum of Memphis
Katherine & John Dobbs Family Center
2525 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104-5926
Kelly Nagle Hatton
Fine Arts Advisor - Visual Art & Theatre
Shelby County Schools
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
TLA Annex, 2485 Union Ave
Memphis, TN 38112
Artwork entries in physical form by postal mail
Parents and teachers can mail the completed entry and artwork at least one week before the deadline of Friday, December 10, 2021 to: 220 S Main St, Memphis, TN 38103
Artwork entries in electronic form by email
Parents and teachers can also submit the completed entry online as a .png, or .jpg. to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 10, 2021.
Artwork entries in electronic form by upload
Participants can also complete the Entry/Release Form and upload a digital copy of their artwork electronically at www.tinyurl.com/MLGWArt by Friday, December 10, 2021.
In the event that the submission is a finalist, the original artwork will need to be provided.
In all cases, entries must be accompanied by the completed “2021 Artwork Entry and Release Form.”
Judging and Awards:
MLGW will oversee the judging of the artwork with non-employee judges. Submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit and creativity.
- Representation of the theme character, use of the MLGW logo, and approach to the contest theme.
- Theme communication: How well the contest theme “Natural Gas Safety” is expressed in the artwork.
- Entries will be judged in four categories: elementary school (grades K-2, and 3-5); middle school (grades 6-8); and high school (grades 9-12).
Each student winner (K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12) will receive a $125 gift card.
Each winner’s teacher will receive a $125 gift card.
Home-schooled students will need validation of instructor from their parent/instructor.
All entries will become the property of MLGW and may be used for promotional purposes.
- Energy Education, University of Calgary
- Methanethiol, Wikipedia
- Alliant Energy Kids
- MLGW, Natural Gas Leak
For additional information: email email@example.com or call (901) 828-6440.