The 2018 “Blue Flame Character” Art Contest for
Kindergarten – Senior High Students
Memphis Light, Gas and Water’s “Blue Flame Character” Art Contest is designed to give all students residing within the MLGW service areas of Shelby County the opportunity to help in designing the newest MLGW Power League Superhero – the Blue Flame, by creating art poster entries.
- The students’ artwork must include an original, graphical version of the Blue Flame character and a safety message.
- The submission must include the MLGW logo.
- All students enrolled in grades K-12 attending ANY school within Shelby County or who are Home Schooled within Shelby County are eligible to enter the contest.
- Please attach the official 2018 Artwork Entry and Release Form securely to the back of the artwork with tape along all sides of the page.
Specific Art Form Rules:
- The students’ art work must be mounted on a sturdy mat board, foam board, cardboard, or poster board that is suitable for display. The required art work entry including the mounting must measure 11” x 17” or the art will NOT be eligible as an entry for the contest.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student submitting the artwork. Use of copyrighted material automatically disqualifies the entry.
- Photographs and computer-generated artwork will NOT be accepted.
- Framed or laminated entries will NOT be accepted.
Submission Process for Shelby County Schools:
All student contestants should submit their artwork to the art teacher at their school for submission before 4 p.m., Friday, December 14, 2018 to:
Kelly Nagle Hatton
Visual Art Instructional Advisor
Curriculum & Instruction
Shelby County Schools
TLA Annex, Loc. 8217
2485 Union Ave.
Memphis, TN 38112
Submission Process for Home Schools, Parochial Schools, Private Schools, Charter Schools, Montessori and Independent Schools:
All K-12 students attending schools other than Shelby County Schools, but located within Shelby County are eligible to participate and enter the contest. Students/teachers should submit their artwork entries before 4 p.m., Friday, December 14, 2018 to:
Director of Education
The Children’s Museum of Memphis
Katherine & John Dobbs Family Center
2525 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104-5926
Judging and Awards:
- MLGW will oversee the judging of the artwork with non-employee judges.
- The entries will be judged on their ability to clearly and creatively communicate the theme:
- “Blue Flame Character” - Every entry must include an original image of a Blue Flame superhero and a
safety message related to a gas blue flame being a safe flame.
- Entries will be judged in four categories – elementary school (grades K-2 and 3-5), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12).
- Each student winner (K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12) will receive a $125 award.
- Each winner’s teacher will receive a $125 gift certificate to the Art Center. Home schooled students will need validation of instructor from their parent/instructor.
- All entries and images will become the property of MLGW and may be used for promotional purposes.
For additional information: email email@example.com or call (901) 528-4820.