MLGW’s 2019 “Water Mane” Poster Art Contest for
Kindergarten – Senior High Students
For 2019, the theme of the MLGW Poster Art Contest is the “Water Mane” character. Memphis Light, Gas and Water wants students to help in designing the newest MLGW Power League, the “Water Mane” Superhero.
The “Water Mane” Superhero’s core mission is to help MLGW customers learn about protecting the aquifer, Memphis Water Source. The “Water Mane” Poster Art Contest is designed to tap students’ imagination in creating a visual image of the “Water Mane” character while conveying the message that the protection of the aquifer is of extreme importance, because the aquifer is “Memphis Water Source.” The students’ work should include their own original version of the “Water Mane” character.
- The students’ artwork must include an original, graphical version of the “Water Mane” character and a preservation message related to the protection of the aquifer, Memphis Water Source.
- The submission must include the MLGW logo.
- All students enrolled in grades K-12 attending ANY school within Shelby County or being home-schooled within Shelby County are eligible to enter the contest.
- Participants must complete and attach the official “2019 Artwork Entry and Release Form” securely to the back of the artwork with tape along all sides.
- The students’ artwork must be mounted on a sturdy mat board, foam board, cardboard, or poster board that is suitable for display. The required art work entry including the mounting must measure 11” x 17” or the art will NOT be eligible as an entry for the contest.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student submitting the artwork. Use of copyrighted material automatically disqualifies the entry. The only copyrighted item that can (and must) be used is the MLGW logo.
- Photographs and computer-generated artwork will NOT be accepted.
- Framed or laminated entries will NOT be accepted.
Submission process for Shelby County Schools:
All student contestants should submit artwork to the art teacher at their school for submission before 4 p.m., Friday, November 22, 2019 to:
Kelly Nagle Hatton
Visual Arts Instructional & Curriculum Advisor
Shelby County Schools
Teaching and Learning Academy
2485 Union Annex
Memphis, TN 38112
Submission process for Home Schools, Parochial Schools, Private Schools, Charter Schools, Montessori and Independent Schools:
All K-12 students attending schools other than Shelby County Schools, but located within Shelby County are eligible to participate and enter the contest. Artwork entries should be submitted before 4 p.m., Friday, November 22, 2019 to:
Director of Education
The Children’s Museum of Memphis
Katherine & John Dobbs Family Center
2525 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104-5926
Judging and Awards:
- MLGW will oversee the judging of the artwork with non-employee judges.
- The entries will be judged on their ability to clearly and creatively communicate the theme:
- Entries will be judged in four categories: elementary school (grades K-2, and 3-5); middle school (grades 6-8); and high school (grades 9-12).
- Each student winner (K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12) will receive a $125 award.
- Each winner’s teacher will receive a $125 gift certificate to the Art Center. Home-schooled students will need validation of instructor from their parent/instructor.
- All entries will become the property of MLGW and may be used for promotional purposes.
For additional information: email email@example.com or call (901) 528-4820.