MLGW is warning customers about a new telephone payment scam involving caller ID spoofing and MoneyPak cards. Crooks threaten to turn off utility service, telling small business owners and individuals to purchase a MoneyPak card and to call 888-458-8819 to make an immediate payment. Calling that number, the recording sounds legitimate, but it’s a scam.
With advances in technology, scammers are becoming craftier. Customers are encouraged to stay vigilant. If something doesn’t sound right, it probably isn’t.
Here are a few tips to remember:
- MLGW representatives do not personally call customers requesting payment.
- MLGW does mail cut-off notices to customers and uses auto-dialers alerting them that a payment must be made by a certain date to avoid cut-off.
- MLGW representatives won’t tell you to purchase a prepaid or gift card to pay your bill.
- When in doubt, check mlgw.com or call MLGW’s Customer Care Center at (901) 544-6549 to verify payment options or account status.
- If you believe you have been targeted or victimized, immediately report it to the Memphis Police Department at (901) 545-2677.
MLGW is the largest three-service public power utility in the nation, serving more than 421,000 customers in Memphis and Shelby County.