Local Lowe's Stores Team with MLGW for Safety Awareness Campaign
Memphis Light, Gas and Water and Lowe's Home Improvement Stores in Shelby County are teaming up to promote natural gas safety awareness and "Call 811 Before You Dig" on Friday, March 27, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The gas safety day is in preparation for April which is National Safe Digging Month and also observed in Tennessee.
On MLGW's Natural Gas Safety Awareness Day, March 27, the Division's Gas Engineering employees will staff display tables at several Lowe's locations to provide information and brochures on natural gas safety, which is especially relevant in the springtime. That's the season when many homeowners and contractors engage in digging, excavating, landscaping and gardening, as well as home and business construction projects. Natural gas safety is very important in light of recent natural gas explosions like the house blown apart in New Jersey in February. There will also be information available to Lowe's visitors about Tennessee One Call, the national 811 safe digging hotline and the "Call 811 Before You Dig" law.
There will be information available on:
* Damage prevention awareness
* Leak recognition and response
* Awareness of hazards and prevention measures
* Pipeline purpose and reliability
* One-call requirements for transmission pipelines
Below is a list of participating Lowe's locations:
* 430 Germantown Parkway, Cordova, TN
* 585 N. Perkins Road, Memphis, TN
* 8490 Highway 51 North, Millington, TN
* 8300 Highway 64, Bartlett, TN
* 425 New Byhalia Road, Collierville, TN
* 7895 Winchester Road, Memphis, TN
For more information about Tennessee One Call, visit http://www.tennessee811.com/. More natural gas safety information can be found on MLGW's website at www.mlgw.com.
MLGW is the largest three-service public power utility in the nation, serving more than 421,000 customers in Memphis and Shelby County.