Press Conference at 8 a.m., Wednesday, February, 17
As a result of the freezing temperatures the past 72 hours, Memphis Light, Gas and Water is experiencing reduced pressure across the water distribution system and is seeing reduced reservoir levels at several of our pumping stations.
MLGW is also experiencing several broken water mains.
In order to conserve the water supply for the greatest public benefit, MLGW is asking customers to voluntarily reduce water usage through Friday.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates throughout the next several days.
We are asking customers to report running water in the street by calling 528-4465. This is usually a sign of a water main break.
Water Conservation Tips
· If you wash dishes by hand, don’t leave the water running for rinsing.
· Don’t let the faucet run while you clean vegetables and other foods.
· Hold off washing clothes until Friday.
· Take short showers.
· If your pipes do freeze, turn off water to your house. Some homes have a shut off knob in their homes. If not, water can be turned off at the water meter.
· Plug the sink to capture enough water for your shave instead of continuously running the water.
MLGW is the largest three-service public power utility in the nation, serving more than 429,000 customers in Memphis and Shelby County.