Water pipes can burst anytime temperatures are below freezing. A burst water pipe or water heater is considered to be an emergency situation and could pose a danger of flooding the building.
Customers should open cabinet doors and turn water to a slow drip to prevent pipes from freezing.
Customers can also wrap pipes either in pipe insulation (available at hardware stores) or with towels, clothes, etc... to prevent pipes from freezing.
- If your pipes freeze, turn off the main valve inside your house (if possible) and call MLGW's emergency contact number at 528-4465.
Space Heaters and Gas Appliances:
To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, make sure that all natural gas appliances, such as your water heater, furnace and space heaters, are vented outside. Keep chimneys and flues clear of all debris, and use gas space heaters only according to manufacturers' instructions. We also recommend that you have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed professional.
Do not use space heaters overnight and when no one is home. Position space heaters so they are not positioned near flammable objects.
- If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical assistance immediately and move the victim, if possible, to a well-ventilated area, then call our 24-hour emergency number, 528-4465.
For additional safety and energy-saving tips, visit mlgw.com.
MLGW is the largest three-service public power utility in the nation, serving more than 420,000 customers in Memphis and Shelby County.