for Kindergarten – Senior High Students
Memphis Light, Gas and Water’s Emergency Preparedness Art Contest is designed to give all students residing within the MLGW service areas of Shelby County the opportunity to learn about how to prepare for an emergency and share ideas by creating art poster entries.
- All students enrolled in grades K-12 attending ANY school within Shelby County or are home schooled within Shelby County are eligible to enter the contest.
- Please attach the official Artwork Entry and Release Form securely to the back of the artwork with tape along all sides of the page.
Specific Art Form Rules:
- The students’ art work must be mounted on a sturdy mat board, foam board, cardboard, or poster board that is suitable for display. The required art work entry including the mounting must measure 17” x 11” or the art will NOT be eligible as an entry for the contest.
- Each entry must be the original work of the student submitting the artwork. Use of copyrighted material automatically disqualifies the entry.
- Photographs and computer-generated artwork will not be accepted.
- Framed or laminated entries will NOT be accepted
- Shelby County Schools:
All student contestants should submit their artwork to the art teacher at their school for submission before 4 p.m., Friday, December 2, 2016 to:
Shelby County Schools Visual Arts and Theatre Coordinator
Teaching and Learning Academy
2485 Union Annex
Memphis TN 38112
- Home Schools, Parochial Schools, Private Schools, Charter Schools, Montessori and Independent Schools:
All K-12 students attending schools other than Shelby County Schools, but located within Shelby County are eligible to participate and enter the contest. Students/teachers should submit their artwork entries before 4 p.m., Friday, December 2, 2016 to:
Children’s Museum of Memphis
2525 Central Avenue
Memphis TN 38104
Judging and Awards:
- MLGW will oversee the judging of the artwork with non-employee judges.
- The entries will be judged on their ability to clearly and creatively communicate the theme:
- Entries will be judged in three categories – elementary school (grades K-5), middle school (grades 6-8), and high school (grades 9-12).
- Each student winner (K-5, 6-8 and 9-12) will receive a $125 award.
- Each winner’s teacher will receive a $125 gift certificate to the Art Center. Home schooled students will need validation of instructor from their parent/instructor.
- All entries will become the property of MLGW and may be used for promotional purposes.
- For additional information: CommRelations@mlgw.org or call (901)528-4820.