Memphis Light, Gas and Water Division was recently announced as one of the 100 Best Fleets in North America. The utility was named 46th in the Government Green Fleet Awards for 2015, scoring higher than its previous honorable mention award in 2014.
The Government Green Fleet Award is open to all federal, state and local government fleets in North America. The rating criteria is based on hundreds of sources of green fleet planning and methodology. The evaluation standards are divided into several key categories: fleet composition; fuel and emissions; policy and planning; fleet utilization; education; executive and employee involvement; and supporting programs.
MLGW owns and operates a diverse fleet of alternative fuel vehicles used by employees for service calls, field inspections and project deployments. The portfolio includes:
- Flex-fuel: More than 200 on-road light-duty vehicles which utilize unleaded gasoline or ethanol (E-85) fuel.
- Compressed Natural Gas: 36 on-road light-duty ½ ton series trucks, 56 on-road heavy-duty ¾ ton trucks and a one ton series truck.
- Hybrid: Twenty-four (Ford Prius, Ford Escape and Ford Fusion) vehicles powered by unleaded gasoline and a lithium battery.
- Plug-In Electric: Four Nissan Leaf vehicles powered 100 percent by lithium ion batteries which are charged by electricity from Level 2 EV charging stations. MLGW has five charging site locations.
- Plug-In Hybrid Electric: One Odyne on-road heavy-duty bucket truck used in electric line repair and installations.
“This award shows we are committed to making our community a better place to live for everyone,” said Jerry Collins Jr., president and CEO of MLGW.
To view more MLGW Green Initiatives, take a look at the 2014 Green Initiatives and Community Report.