Online-only applications accepted for weatherization program
Homeowners who need attic insulation, broken window replacements, HVAC, water heater and other repairs to make their homes more energy efficient, are encouraged to apply for MLGW and MIFA’s Share the Pennies Home Weatherization Program.
Applications will be accepted online at MIFA.org/sharethepennies starting at 7 a.m. on June 19. Due to high demand, complete applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. No in-person applications will be accepted. Rental properties are ineligible. Customers without online access should call 901-529-4561 when applications open and leave their contact information.
Shelby County homeowners are eligible for the program if they meet the following qualifications:
- Home is listed in the applicant’s name
- Applicant lives in the home requested to be repaired
- Applicant meets the income guidelines-200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines.
- Active MLGW utility account in the applicant’s name with no diversion within the last seven years and no bad debt owed to MLGW
- Current on previous year’s City and County property taxes
Visit MIFA.org/sharethepennies on June 19 at 7 a.m. to apply. Income guidelines and the type of eligible weatherization repairs that can be done can also be viewed at the above link.
The Share the Pennies program rounds up MLGW customers’ bills to the next whole dollar and funds weatherization grants. In addition to the funds raised from the Share the Pennies program, the Tennessee Valley Authority has invested $1 million to assist in weatherizing about 400 local homes over the next two years.
MLGW is the largest three-service public power utility in the nation, serving more than 431,000 customers in Memphis and Shelby County.